Friday 24 December 2010

Christmas - Córdoba style...

At home, we keep Christmas traditions from both sides of the Atlantic.

During my recent stay in my home town in Argentina I had the opportunity to attend a concert given by a singer who is originally from Córdoba: Jairo. Born as Mario González in the north of my province (Córdoba, same name as my city), he became known in the 70s but his career started actually in Spain, not Argentina. His fame increased on both sides of the Atlantic and became quite popular, composing and interpreting songs about everyday life and things. Along his career he has sung, among others, to Argentinean foremost writer, Jorge Luis Borges and to the maximum tango legend, Carlos Gardel. He also performed in some of the most famous theatres around the world, including the Olympia in Paris. 

As a sample of the recital we attended that evening and to warm up our souls for Christmas, I am posting here two songs by Jairo: Carpintería José (it means, "Joseph's Carpentry Shop" and tells the story of the Nativity with Joseph being a regular man who is about to become a father) and the Ave Maria, which he sang in French and in Spanish - the last part without using a mike, so that the audience could appreciate the great  accoustics of the Liberador Theatre of Córdoba. Enjoy!!


Source: YouTube

Made with my smartphone @ Teatro del Libertador, Córdoba.

Have a beautiful Christmas Eve and a very Merry Christmas Day, everyone!

10 comments:

Presepio No Canal said...

Feliz Navidad, Eber, para ti y Marcel! :-)
A tua mesa esta inda! Muito gezellig!! :-)
Bjs!!

Aledys Ver said...

Thanks, Sandrinha!! Beijos!

Invader Stu said...

Have a grreat Christmas Eve and Christmas Day as well :)

Aledys Ver said...

Thanks, Stu - you too!!! :D

BLOGitse said...

Feliz Navidad! little late though...
Happy Holidays! :)
I love Ave Maria...it touches my soul...
Have a good week!

Aledys Ver said...

Thanks, BLOGitse!
Yes, the Ave Maria is very touching indeed!

Mayfromlohr said...

Welcome back Aledys!!! Here's wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Wonderful New Year!!!!

Aledys Ver said...

Thanks! I hope you had a nice Christmas holiday!

Katie said...

Thank you for introducing me to Jairo's music. I had heard of him, but I can't say that I was familiar with his work. Lovely!

Happy New Year!

Aledys Ver said...

He has an extraordinary voice, Katie. I don't know if he'd be a favourite singer of mine ever, but he certainly knows how to move your argie nostalgic soul when he sings!